How Much CBD Should I Take?
With so many touting cannabidiol (CBD) usage, more and more people are considering giving it a try. Those new to CBD are often concerned with how much of their chosen CBD product they should be taking and what is too much.
It can be challenging to give anyone a specific intake for CBD because every person responds to it differently. What is great for one person might be way too much or not enough for another. Let’s learn more about how much CBD you should take.
CBD Dosage vs. Serving Size
We hear a lot of questions about the proper “CBD dosage.” Dosage is a term that is used to describe how much of a medication you should take at a time and how frequently you should take that medication. CBD isn’t a medication but is frequently a dietary supplement; therefore, it has a serving size instead of a dosage. For this reason, we refer to CBD intake as a serving size, and this includes the amount of CBD in the total serving of the supplement. The important question to ask is “How much do I receive when I take a serving of this supplement?”
The serving size is the recommended amount on the label per occasion. Trustworthy CBD products will always list the recommended serving size on the packaging. However, the recommended serving of a product may not work for everyone, as they are not a one-size-fits-all product; this is why there are many products available at a range of strengths per serving.
What Is a Normal CBD Serving?
|Product||Serving Size||Amount of CBD per Serving|
|10mg CBD Gummies||1 gummy||10mg|
|500mg CBD Oil Drops (30mL)||1mL||16.7mg|
|1000mg CBD Oil Drops (30mL)||1mL||33.3mg|
|2000mg CBD Oil Drops (30mL)||1mL||66.6mg|
|25mg CBD Capsule||1 Capsule||25mg|
Start with a Small Amount of CBD
If you have never taken CBD before, start slow. Begin with a small serving with a low total amount. If you start with only 10 or 15mg of total cannabinoids in your product per serving, you can see how your body reacts to CBD before increasing your intake.
If you are taking other medications or have serious medical conditions, you should check with your doctor before adding CBD into your regimen. Cannabidiol may interact with certain medications.
Factors for Determining Your Ideal CBD Serving Size
Let’s take a look at a few key factors that you should consider when deciding your ideal CBD daily serving size.
1. Your Size
Your weight will have an impact on how much CBD you should take. A smaller person will likely need to take less to receive the same benefits as a larger person. Intake recommendations can be based on weight with a starting point of 0.25mg multiplied by a person’s body weight in pounds.
0.25 x (body weight) = daily serving
While this rule of thumb is a great place to start, it won’t be perfect for everyone. Make a note of how you feel after this serving amount. If you didn’t get your desired effect, try a slightly greater amount. If you have any negative side effects, you should decrease your serving.
2. Your Tolerance to CBD
For some people, a CBD tolerance could interfere with their desired results after taking their regular serving. If you have a low (or unknown) tolerance, it is hard to know where to start, which is why you should start with a small amount.
Your body chemistry can also affect how well your body tolerates CBD. It is important to note that CBD might not be right for everyone regardless of the amount, so if you take it and you don’t like how it makes you feel, you should stop taking it immediately.
3. CBD Potency
Be mindful of the potency of any CBD product you purchase as some products are more concentrated than others, meaning that individual servings have more CBD in higher strength products than in lower strength ones, even if the serving size is the same. A 10mg per serving product is going to have a very different effect than a 100mg product. When looking at CBD oil potency, you will want to start with a low-strength product to test its effectiveness for you.
The potency of any CBD product will be listed on the packaging. For single-use products, the CBD milligrams will be listed per serving. Be aware that for many oils, tinctures, and other products, the CBD milligrams listed on the package is listed for the entire container. Always be on the lookout for higher quality products that transparently explain the serving size and the amount of CBD or total cannabinoids per serving on the supplement facts panel of any product to be sure of what you are going to get.
Starting with a low dose allows you to better monitor your pet’s reaction to the product, and you can always slowly increase the amount to find your pet’s ideal dosage. Watch the way your pet acts after their CBD dose to determine whether or not the dosage is sufficient or heavy-handed.
We always recommend talking to your vet before giving your pet CBD if they are taking any medications to ensure there are no conflicts or potential complications.
4. Method of Use
It is important to consider the method of consumption or use when determining how a CBD product will affect you. An amount of CBD delivered sublingually (under the tongue) may result in a stronger effect on you more rapidly than the same amount delivered as a gummy, or applied to your skin in a cream or lotion. The most common ways to use cannabidiol are:
- Orally: Pills, capsules, gummies, soft gels, and tinctures are all CBD products that are taken orally. Since these products are swallowed, the CBD is absorbed by the digestive tract, allowing for a more generalized and longer-lasting effect.
- Sublingually: Tinctures can be swallowed, but many users prefer to put drops of oil directly under the tongue, allowing for transmission through this capillary-rich area. With this method, the CBD oil bypasses the digestive system and liver. This allows for faster absorption and greater amounts of CBD to enter your bloodstream.
- Topically: Creams, lotions, balms, and massage oils are put onto the skin and absorbed into your body. These products are best for relief for the specific part of the body where they are applied. Topicals also tend to have other ingredients like coconut oil or beeswax, which are used as a delivery vehicle for the CBD concentrate. Note that topical applications often do not have a amount of CBD per use listed, and the amount of CBD listed is for the entire container. Be sure to follow recommended use instructions for topical products.
How to Find Your Perfect CBD Serving Size
- Start with a small serving from the recommendations based on your weight. Wait two hours to see how you feel. If it doesn’t seem like enough, take another five or ten milligrams.
- Track your servings and the effects you feel, including the potency of the product. By monitoring the servings you are taking, you can better determine what works best for you.
- Stay consistent with timing and products. Try to take your CBD at the same time every day and stick to one product in the beginning.
- Give your routine some time. If you are expecting intense results at the onset of your CBD routine, you might set yourself up for failure. Give your first attempt a few days. See if you notice any changes after a week or so before increasing your serving size, taking CBD more frequently, or switching up your products.
Increasing Your CBD Serving Size
You will want to consider the same factors above if you are considering upping your daily serving size of CBD. Increasing your CBD usage should be done gradually. Monitor your intake to ensure that you are getting the results you want without any adverse side effects. By increasing your intake slowly, you can better understand the exact amount of CBD you need each day to reach your goals.
Your CBD journey starts here
Yes, there’s a lot to think about when it comes to shopping for CBD oil. But once you find the product that’s right for you, you may never want to go back!
Ready to start shopping? Check out our online store.
At Veritas Farms, we grow all our hemp on site at our farm in Pueblo, Colo., where we also dry, process, extract, formulate, and package a variety of best-quality CBD products. We offer certificates of analysis for all our products and stand behind the quality of everything we sell.
Still have questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us. We love to hear from CBD enthusiasts and newbies alike. Happy shopping!
You may also be interested in…
Fort Lauderdale, Florida – May 19, 2022 – Veritas Farms, Inc. (OTCQB: VFRM), a vertically integrated agribusiness focused on the production and distribution of full spectrum hemp oil products with…